Can Pilates help to lose weight?
This question has come up a few times over the last few weeks as people get ready for the Summer. T-shirts, Summer dresses, breezy tops, shorts and skirts are all waiting to be worn, hopefully very soon.
If you’re just looking to lose weight – Pilates on its own is probably not the most efficient method.
Pilates is famous for creating lean and fit bodies without necessarily affecting your weight significantly. If you seriously want to lose weight the best advice is to combine Pilates with some cardio exercise and watch your diet, of course.
But Pilates supports weight loss in many ways:
- The best ways to look and feel thinner is to have a beautiful posture!
- Pilates tones and shapes the body.
- Pilates creates lean muscle mass which increases your calorie burning potential.
- Pilates promotes deep and efficient breathing which is great for tissue regeneration and also helps with burning calories.
- Pilates is an energising workout that can help sustain energy levels throughout the day.
- Therefore, the best advice is to combine Pilates with aerobic/cardio exercise in order to maximise weight loss.
Some good choices for aerobic cross-training with Pilates include: interval training, swimming, walking, cycling, running.
In summary, it is definitely a good choice to incorporate Pilates into a weight loss regime, but you have to keep in mind the other things you have to do to slim down.
Don’t fall for quick fix diets. You achieve better and longer lasting results only by making healthy choices and changing bad eating habits.
But your body needs more than cardio training and a healthy diet. Your body also needs balance, stability and rest. A mindful workout like Pilates helps you to let go of stress. Stress can hinder weight loss or even cause weight gain.
During your weight loss regime make sure you include some quiet time for mind & body to relax and rejuvenate.